3.17.2020

15/03/2020 - Day 1 of Self-Quarantine

Covid-19 outbreak is entering our city. We're approaching stage 2 of pandemic status with more than a hundred of cases and up to 3% death toll. The government is trying to contain this pandemic by promoting 'social distancing'. Companies & schools are formulating remote activities system, including my office.

My thought right now: I'm sure my survival chance is high. A 25 years old and working out at least 3 times per week, I believe my immune is strong. But nobody knows if I was, or still am, an asymptomatic carrier of this disease. If so, that would be harmful for anyone in contact with me above the age of 50, or already carrying another disease in their body.

Living with parents with age over 50 and frequently visit a 75 years old grandmother, that thought surely haunts me to the core. I travel quite a lot across the city within the previous week. I might be in contact with anyone travelling from affected countries within the past week. Maybe from the gym, or on the office lift, or from the bar. I might not realize until it happens. And let's just pray it won't.

To let the thoughts away, I'd like to spend this 2 weeks of quarantine into a movie-marathon week. Today I'll start with movie with quite a resemblance from our current situation.

93 Days, adapted from a true story of a group of medical health workers in Nigeria when they were trying to contain Ebola from an outbreak in 2014. I might not dive on details, what I can say is the movie shows a handful of disturbing images of Ebola-infected patients. And it certainly not the best image you wish to see during an actual outbreak in your city 😅

But well, it was Ebola. Disease with up to 90% mortality rate involving fatal hemorrhage and organ failures. Here now we are facing a different monster with mortality rate under 3%, not to belittle Covid-19, but probably more controllable than what it showed in 93 Days.

One thing I can learn from the movie,
it was to trust yourself.
One female doctor in Nigeria was trusting herself enough to contain an infectious disease from spreading to a city with 20 millions people packed and pressed together. The index patient lie about his contact with Ebola and the doctor trusted her guts for not trusting him. She trusted herself enough, or otherwise it would be the worst outbreak in a mega-populated city.

Trust yourself enough to decide.
Trust yourself enough to be patient.
Trust yourself enough to keep things.
Trust yourself enough to let go.

No comments: